Some spyware and adware will add miscreant links to your Internet Explorer Trusted Sites Zone. This may allow the sites to run with fewer security restrictions. Make sure you periodically check the Trusted Sites Zone list to ensure only sites you have specifically added are included. Here's how.
Time Required: 1 minute
- Do not open Internet Explorer. Make sure all browser Windows and other applications (including email) are closed.
- Right-click the Internet Explorer icon on the desktop.
- Choose 'Properties'.
- Click the 'Security' tab.
- Click the 'Trusted Sites' icon to highlight
- Click the 'Sites' button to review the list of sites included.
- If you see an unwanted site on the list, click once on the site link displayed to highlight it, then click the 'Remove' button.
- When finished viewing or modifying the Trusted Sites list, click OK and then click Apply (if any changes were made).
- Click OK to exit the Properties menu.
- Beset with pop-ups or a sluggish Internet connection? If you suspect an adware/spyware infestation, see How to Remove Adware & Spyware.