Search for "AVG crash" and you'll find over 2 million hits on Google. The systemic problem of AVG crashing Windows computers is almost an annual occurrence. Here's how to recover from an AVG crash.
Time Required: 10 minutes
- From a fully functioning computer, create an AVG Rescue CD.
- Use the newly created AVG Rescue CD to boot the crashed computer.
- After the AVG Rescue CD has launched, open Utilities | File Manager.
- Using the AVG Rescue CD File Manager, navigate to the affected hard drive (usually /mnt/sda1/.
- Next, navigate to the AVG folder (usually under C:\Program Files\grisoft\.
- Rename the AVG folder.
- Close File Manager, remove the AVG Rescue CD, and reboot the computer normally.
- You can then reinstall AVG and update the definitions to a version that does not cause system crashes.