Removing malware from a Mac computer often requires ending the active process of the malware first. To quit a process using Activity Monitor in Mac OS X, follow the steps below.
Time Required: 5
- Click Spotlight
- Type activity monitor and press the enter/return key. If Activity Monitor doesn't open, click Spotlight again and select it from the list.
- Make sure All Processes is selected, then click the heading Process Name to sort by alphabetical order.
- Locate the offending process and double-click it to open.
- Click the Quit button to end the process.
- Close Activity Montior
- Any Mac computer will have several legitimate running processes. Closing a necessary legitimate process can have unexpected consequences. Be sure you only quit processes you know for certain are unwanted.