The Bottom Line
- Highly effective adware and spyware protection
- Daily signature updates to thwart new threats
- Free online help via interactive chat
- Security Center not integrated with VirusScan console
- Detects and removes adware, spyware, and other potentially unwanted programs.
- Automated daily updates provide rapid protection for emerging new threats.
- Guards against malware in email, IM, Internet downloads and on the Web.
Guide Review - McAfee VirusScan 2006
Thankfully, all that has changed in McAfee VirusScan 2006. Not only is McAfee now offering daily updates to home users, adware and spyware detection is a stellar 95%. McAfee VirusScan 2006 still contains a bit of advertising in its Security Center console, but its more tastefully and clearly marked - now simply offering an upgrade path for those wishing to purchase additional coverage (i.e. McAfee Firewall or Spam protection).
McAfee VirusScan 2006 includes all the standard features you would expect: on-demand/manual scans, realtime on-access scanning, scheduled scans, right-click context scans, as well as scanning POP3 email. (Outlook Express, Outlook, Eudora, and Netscape). Moreover, McAfee goes a step further, offering specific protection for Instant Messaging, including AOL Instant Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, MSN Messenger, and Microsoft Windows Messenger.
Retailing at $40 USD, McAfee VirusScan 2006 offers robust protection at a competitive price.