The Bottom Line
- Family oriented protection offers granular control for children, teens, and adults
- Significantly smaller footprint ideal for even older PCs and netbooks
- Web URL safety ratings and exploit detection ensure safer online surfing
- User friendly interface provides easy control of a sophisticated feature set
- DeepGuard behavior analyzer helps guard against new and unknown threats
- Firewall offers only partial permission-based controls
- On-access scanning may introduce some slight delays
- DeepGuard behavior analysis offers an important addeed layer of protection against new and emerging malware
- Website safety ratings and browser exploit detection bolster on-access scanning to ensure safer Web surfing
- Parental controls allow customizable security settings for all members of the family, young or old.
Guide Review - F-Secure Internet Security Suite 2010/2011
Processes needed by F-Secure Internet Security 2010/2011 are down to only nine (from 24 in previous versions). Each of those nine processes is only spawned when needed and shutdown afterward, preserving system performance for those tasks that caused you to buy a computer in the first place. The trimmed down performance is particularly beneficial to those using netbooks, older PCs, and gamers.
Web safety is a big concern and F-Secure Internet Security 2010/2011 addresses it from multiple angles. Password-protected parental controls can be configured based on profile (small children or teenager), category of website, and time allowed browsing. In addition, F-Secure's web protection includes website safety ratings integrated into Google and Yahoo searches, realtime detection of malicious sites (based on reputation or presence of malware), and exploit detection to guard against browser or third-party plugin attacks.
Those who prefer fully customizable permission-based firewalls may be a tad disappointed in that aspect of F-Secure Internet Security 2010. However, those who prefer a more hands-off approach may find it a perfect fit. Overall, the trim performance, enhanced Web security, and robust parental controls make F-Secure Internet Security a great choice for families.