The Bottom Line
- Update alerts provide notice when priority upates are available
- Highly customizable; can be password protected to prevent changes
- Intergrated firewall offers permission-based control of Internet applications
- Supports multiple languages
- Basic and Advanced configuration options
- Tech support via email only
- Blends solid antivirus protection with a robust firewall, without sacrificing system performance.
- Highly flexible controls for setting access permissions for programs and services.
- Configuration wizard helps even beginning users setup the firewall appropriately.
- Supports mutli-user logging in Windows XP; automatically blocks all access if no user is logged in.
Guide Review - AVG Anti-Virus plus Firewall Edition
AVG Anti-Virus plus Firewall Edition can be used in either Basic or Advanced modes. The Basic mode is ideal for both beginning users and those who just want quick access to the main program features. But if you're the type who likes to tinker under the hood, AVG's Advanced mode offers a wealth of customizable options, including the ability to control the size of the 'Virus Vault' where quarantined files are held and customize report displays with as little or as much info desired.
Grisoft, the developers of AVG, offer an incredible 2-year license with purchase, doubling the amount of update and support time offered by most other antivirus vendors. The 2-year license is an even better deal when one considered that AVG Anti-Virus plus Firewall Edition is retailing at an already reasonable $49 USD.