If you wish to remove BitDefender, follow the simple steps below. Make sure you have another source of antivirus protection ready to take its place.
Time Required: 5
- There are two ways to uninstall BitDefender: the uninstall routine provided by the vendor, or using the built-in uninstaller provided by the Windows operating system. Whichever you choose, before uninstalling BitDefender, ensure all other programs are closed.
- To access the vendor-provided uninstall feature, click Start | Programs | BitDefender | Modify. At the splash screen, click Next and choose Remove.
- To access the Windows-provided uninstall feature, click Start | Settings | Control Panel then double-click the Add or Remove Programs icon. (XP interface users should click Start | Control Panel and then double-click the Add or Remove Programs icon).
- Locate BitDefender on the list of programs and choose Remove. When prompted to confirm, choose Yes.
- In some cases, remnants of the installation settings may remain and can result in an error. If this occurs, try Microsoft's Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. Note that this is not the same as the Windows-provided uninstall feature in Add/Remove Programs. The Windows Installer Cleanup Utility only removes installation settings and should be used with caution. You can read more about this tool and download a copy at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301/
- After uninstalling BitDefender, reboot your PC. Do not attempt to install any other antivirus or firewall software until after a reboot has been performed.