1. Computing
Tommy Armendariz

Facebook Phishing Scam

By February 10, 2013

FacebookA phishing scam, such as Loyphish, is the practice of sending unwanted emails to users with the intent of tricking them into revealing sensitive information. The email may appear as if it was sent from a legitimate source, such as a financial institution, and will request that you click on a link and update your banking account information. However, the link directs you to spoofed website that looks identical to the bank's official site.

Scammers are using different phishing techniques with Facebook. They have created a spoofed verification page that attempts to steal your personal and credit card information. Instead of reaching out to potential victims via email, the scam starts out as a link to a video or image that is posted by a Facebook user. By clicking on the link, the user is taken to what appears to be a Facebook login page. After logging in, the fake website requests users to update their account security settings and provide additional information, such as a mobile phone number and credit card information. The website then steals the personal information once the user submits the data.

If you're unfamiliar with a link or suspicious of the link destination, do not click it. Pay close attention to the URL and ensure that you are on a legit webpage prior to submitting your sensitive information. If you're unsure, it's best to manually enter the URL on your Internet browser to certify you are on the official website.

Image İFacebook

Comments
February 11, 2013 at 4:20 pm
(1) B Pratt says:

Why anyone is stupid enough to actually use F***book is beyond me. You get what you deserve in this instance.

February 11, 2013 at 8:15 pm
(2) seht says:

I tend to agree with B Pratt. I do use FB but only because my kids use it and they insist I connect to talk to them. However I have never experienced a more frustrating program than FB. It continually asks me to log in even though I have done so several times. It freezes, it jumps up and down the page, gosh what doesn’t it do. I end up with getting confirmation from people I never asked (I know them or of them) as friends. It really is a true PIA. And finally it is so time consuming.

February 18, 2013 at 3:28 pm
(3) NickyK says:

I rarely have any major difficulties using Facebook. Admittedly, I keep my list of “friends” limited to people I either actually know in the off-line world, trusted friends of these people, or internet friends I have known and with whom I have corresponded (even talked on the telephone) over many years; and I have configured my privacy settings to suit my wishes (and I check these regularly because Facebook has a habit of “updating” and messing these around a bit). Some of my few internet friends do complain about the adverts, but I find running Adblock and NoScript and Ghostery on Firefox helps keep these to an absolute minimum (I think these add-ons are available on IE and other browsers too – they do help). You can also configure Adobe Flash on FF so that it has to ask your permission to play each and every video (stops anything playing automatically). I never EVER sign in a second time if asked. I close, delete cookies, run cCleaner and start afresh. My suggestion to anyone with children in the house is to check their privacy/security settings on FB and take appropriate action. You don’t need some kind of parental filter. Just limit outside access to the FB page to “friends” – and make sure those friends are actually FRIENDS!

Many thanks to Tommy for this About blog-thingie! Appreciated.

February 19, 2013 at 12:35 pm
(4) antivirus says:

Thank you for your comments. NickyK, based on your post, you are using good security awareness. It’s important to realize that this attack is not Facebook’s doing. Spoofed websites such as these are launched daily. Banks and retailers are usually the main targets. In this case, the attackers targetted Facebook. By utlizing good security practice and awareness, you can avoid becoming a victim of this type of an attack.

February 26, 2013 at 2:42 am
(5) Bongban says:

Yah rightly said what bothers me at times is how someone will just see an offer he/she know nothing about and wants to grab it. this is selfishness and what you get in return is deceitful. these blockers try at all means to get to everyone but only the selfish ones end up regretting SO DO NOT BE SELFISH. Just like NickyK said there are security measure that will help you regulate the kind of friends that can have access to your profile and i advice every body to try do that

March 10, 2013 at 8:28 pm
(6) resources says:

Hi! I could have sworn I’ve been to this blog before but after browsing through some of the post I realized it’s new to me.
Nonetheless, I’m definitely glad I found it and I’ll be bookmarking
and checking back often!

March 14, 2013 at 11:04 am
(7) adidas js wings says:

I needed to thank you for this wonderful read!

! I certainly enjoyed every bit of it. I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post_

April 26, 2013 at 10:50 pm
(8) Matt says:

Wash your curly hair at the very least two days in a week.
My hair doesn’t always look good when I’m going to attend openings and red carpet events.

The product should be one that is made for your type of
hair, whether it be dry, oily, curly or straight.

November 17, 2013 at 3:27 am
(9) www.youtube.com says:

Nice post. I learn something new and challenging on websites
I stumbleupon everyday. It’s always useful to read through content from other authors
and practice a little something from other web sites.

January 7, 2014 at 4:48 am
(10) www.paz-gruppe.eu says:

The tabs will be in vertical order on the left of the page to start with.
You should draw attention to your Facebook page by presenting it as a way to get
access to exclusive content and more promotional offers.
They also provide a comprehensive tutorial on the method.

January 10, 2014 at 5:12 pm
(11) Becky says:

Hi,this is a message from the creator of facebook and it tells you a little bit about what is going to happen to facebook on the 15th of march. Please don’t send this back to the person you received it from. Dear facebook members, Facebook was supposed to be closing down march 15th because it is becoming very overpopulated. There have been many members complaining that Facebook is becoming very slow. Records show that there are many active facebook members. We will be sending this message around to see if members are active or not. If you are active please send to 15 other users using copy+paste to show that you are still active.*Those who do not send this message within 2 weeks will be deleted without hesitation to make more space. Send this message to all you friends to show that you are still active and you will not be deleted. Founder of Facebook… Remember to send this to 15 other people so your. account won’t deleted……is this considered phishing

March 8, 2014 at 12:29 pm
(12) youtube.com says:

amazing insight. Really enjoyed skimming through this
blog. Keep up the good work and to everyone keep on tweeting!

Here is my web page: get more twitter followers (<a href=”http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4gTkZPCMlc”>youtube.com</a>)