1. Computing

A Parting Note

By February 11, 2012

Twelve years is a long time. And in that 12 years, a lot has happened in the malware scene. The biggest change, however, has been you dear reader. Over the last twelve years, you've become increasingly savvy about security threats and the need for antivirus software. Selfishly, I'd like to think I had some small part in that but I think the real driver has been one of supply.

A dozen years ago, computers weren't common household appliances. Today they are. And today the discussion isn't about whether you have a computer, it's about whether you have a PC or a Mac. And chances are, whatever you have, you have more than one of them.

Of course, this also means someone in your household has probably taken on the informal role of IT, making sure those computers are patched, the antivirus is updated, and serving as general tech support for everyone else in the house. If you're the IT guru in your home, give yourself a pat on the back. You deserve it.

And now it's time for another change. After a dozen years as your guide, I've decide to leave About.com. This is not without some sadness as I will miss all of you. But the beauty of the Internet is that there really is no such thing as goodbye, it's just I'll see you later. In the meantime, you can always find me on Twitter or Google+ and of course working at my day job.

Comments
February 11, 2012 at 5:51 am
(1) Peter Gluck says:

Dear Mary,

Special thanks to you! Your papers have been very
useful for my newsletters, Info Kappa and INFORMAVORE’s
SUNDAY and have helped many readers to work more safely.
You were like an guardian angel for us.
i have learned many things from you. You are a great guide- a guru.
Please accept my gratitude and my very best wishes!
Peter

February 11, 2012 at 5:59 am
(2) Igor says:

Thank you very much for all you’ve done for us! It’s very pity you leave us!

February 11, 2012 at 6:42 am
(3) Sunnie2Day says:

Thank-you for all the work you put into this, I can’t tell you how much you helped me as I joined the 21st Century and came online in 2004! I should have said thank-you years ago and I apologise for not having done.

I’ve recommended your pages to so many people since finding you all those years ago, they’ve always thanked me for directing them here and I’ve been remiss in not passing those thanks on to you.

Best wishes to you and yours as you go forward, and again, thank-you for helping a middle-aged ‘old git’ like me sound like a computer whiz.

February 11, 2012 at 7:28 am
(4) richard says:

have a good one

February 11, 2012 at 8:51 am
(5) Mike Farley says:

You will be missed! Of all the security articles I forward to friends and colleagues, yours have been the most frequent and the most appreciated. I can’t imagine who About will choose to replace you!

All the very best

Mike

February 11, 2012 at 9:52 am
(6) Pierre says:

Many thanks for 12 years of good work. And in my case, if I’ve become increasingly savvy about security threats and the need for antivirus software, it’s because you DID have a large part in that.

All the best in your future endeavours,

Pierre

February 11, 2012 at 10:16 am
(7) HazXMatt says:

You will be missed VERY much! Goodby,
good luck, and hopefully we’ll all see you later!

February 11, 2012 at 10:52 am
(8) Djurdjica Tezak says:

Dear Mary, I come from Croatia, Europe, and I am the univ. prof. I would like to express my appreciation for all you have done for me as a reader of Free Newsleller. Following your articles on all kinds of malvare attacks, I edited a book named “Internet – after delight” (in Croatian “Internet – poslije oduševljenja”) for my students and people here in Croatia.
Best regards,
Djurdjica

February 11, 2012 at 11:31 am
(9) CyberGirl says:

Really did like your guides and have learned so much by reading it. It is usually the first place that I go to find out about computers. Good Luck to you.

February 11, 2012 at 2:31 pm
(10) Janice says:

Mary,

You’ve done a wonderful job. I’ve forwarded your links and advice for many years. You will be missed. I’m sorry to see you go.

Best wishes for you and success in your oncoming endeavors!

February 11, 2012 at 3:20 pm
(11) Starrpoint says:

Thanks for all you have done to help keep our computers safer and us in the know.

February 11, 2012 at 4:40 pm
(12) Usman says:

Thanks so much! Wish you all the best!

February 12, 2012 at 6:24 am
(13) mach says:

Thank you very much. All the best !

February 13, 2012 at 2:22 am
(14) Michael says:

Its has been a nice experience and very informative. There was a virus that you heip me get it figure out and remove. It was nasty one took days to resolve fix it was. Thanks you will be miss. And I still say hang them virus spreaders!

February 13, 2012 at 7:01 am
(15) Viktor says:

Thank you – it was alawys great to read your articles … not just AV articles but expertly written ones . We’ll miss you .
Good luck

February 14, 2012 at 11:04 am
(16) GILL STANILAND says:

Shalom! Your gift to us has been an amazing awareness of what goes on in the cyber world that affect the inexperienced internet user. Thank you so much for making us aware of the devious methods that these ‘cruel’ individuals do to upset our lives. The information has always been very valuable and i thank you for all the time and effort you put into helping us cope with these often undetected problems. Here’s wishing you every success in the future. God bless you and your family. Yours in Christ Jesus, Gill