1. Technology

AVG Crash: How to Recover

By December 3, 2010

Many users have reported a system crash resulting from an AVG update published on December 1. The update causes the computer to continually reboot and even booting into Safe Mode will not help. The solution to the AVG crash is to boot from a rescue CD and rename the AVG folder, after which the system should boot normally. (For step-by-step instructions, see How to Disable AVG When It Crashes Your Computer).

According to AVG, the problem mostly impacts x64 users of Windows 7 - though a search of forums indicates other operating systems may have been impacted as well.

AVG claims the problem resulted from improper inclusion of some untested files in the 12-1 update package. This does bring concerns for chain of custody to mind - hopefully something they will take steps to rectify in forthcoming releases.

Comments
December 3, 2010 at 1:41 pm
(1) AVG Technologies says:

Weíre very sorry for the inconvenience. Over the past 24 hours, AVG has had two update issues. The problems affected Windows 7 users on 64-bit products. As soon as we were first notified about these issues, we immediately began fixing the problems. AVG is taking swift action on this matter. We remain committed to our customers, and, as such, we are taking the following actions:

1-Updates have been issued for both of these issues and are currently being propagated to the broad AVG user base.

2-For the next 48 hours, we are offering free technical support to our entire user base; anyone who has been affected by either of these issues.

PAID CUSTOMERS: Support for System crash after the recent AVG 2011 update 3292 (BSOD)
If you have encountered the above mentioned issue with the latest AVG update and FAQ 4079 didnít help you, please contact our English support team by dialing the following numbers:

1-Home and Free customers: 24/7 support +1-877-367-9933

2-Business customers: 9:30am-6:30pm EST +1-828-459-5436 or skype:avg-nc
You can also email us at updateissuehelp@avg.com.

FREE CUSTOMERS: Support for System crash after the recent AVG 2011 update 3292 (BSOD)

1-If you have encountered the above mentioned issue with the latest AVG update and FAQ 4080 didnít help you, please contact our English support team by dialing the following number:

2-24/7 support: +1-877-367-9933

You can also email us at updateissuehelp@avg.com

AVG sincerely regrets any inconvenience this issue has caused and we are ready to help you resolve this as quickly as possible.

December 3, 2010 at 3:06 pm
(2) mgopher says:

Pretty scary when your anti-virus trashes your system. I had to do a total backup and restore on my system. I lost over 20 [precious hours of my existance to a program that was meant to prevent such things.

December 3, 2010 at 10:28 pm
(3) Ric says:

The AVG update from December 1 resulted in my system being unable to boot. I spent one day without my system and 2 hrs at the MicroCenter help desk performing a system restore. Will not reinstall or purchase AVG products again.

December 6, 2010 at 2:05 pm
(4) Vienna Carroll says:

Thank you About.com for publicizing. This was a terrible experience, made a lot worse by no information about the problem. I lost two hard drives and spent a lot for tech support on this issue. I thought I was the unluckiest person in America until I read about this on your site.

I used to love and promote AVG all the time and can’t believe they didn’t test out a new update for Windows 2007, 64-bit users.

December 17, 2010 at 1:46 am
(5) Indra Hadiwidjaja says:

Mine is using Windows XP and it also stopped responding recently.
I have finally succeeded to log on, uninstall avg, and reinstall it hoping the newest update has already updated well so no more hangs.
But my system was went soooooo slow and today it again stopping responding again.
It’s time to say good bye to AVG, especially if they don’t do anything about it.

December 24, 2010 at 10:28 am
(6) mgh116 says:

I was unable to boot my Vista OS machine following my last AVG update. Black screen. 2 hours with Microsoft help (I thought it was due to the 14 Windows updates downloaded last time I shut down), and a few more hours from my tech at work, and most of my data was recovered. Had to reformat my hard drive and reload everything.

I won’t be using AVG again. This was an unbelievably sloppy mistake from a company that specializes in computer security.

January 6, 2012 at 6:41 am
(7) stephanie says:

I have been without my laptop for almost a week, thought my mother board or something died. Glad to know that’s not the case. Will the cd fix it? Good bye avg..mcafee here I come.